108. WADE GUYTON






108. WADE GUYTON
U Sculpture
2005
Mirrored stainless steel, Ed. of 3
100 x 45,72 x 416,56 cm.



Wade Guyton/Stephen Prina
Installation view 1
2015

Wade Guyton
Installation view 1
Friedrich Petzel Gallery
2014



BIO & STEPS

Born:  
                  In 1972, Hammond, Indiana, USA

Nowadays:

Lives and works in New York

Studies:
1996 – 1998 Attended the M.F.A. Program at Hunter College, New York
1990 – 1995 B.A., University of Tennessee, Knoxville


Themes and style: 
          Guyton’s early “drawings” from around 2003, are filled with black Xs over ripped-out book pages. The color black and the letter X became signature motifs. Since 2005, Guyton has worked on canvas.  Typically Guyton’s work is exhibited in a series.

Techniques:      
         His work is developed in sculpture and paintings.



Exhibitions


Representative Galleries:

Helga de Alvear
Petzel

In his own words:
“I hated art as a kid. I didn’t even like art class. I didn’t like to draw. I would make my dad do all the drawings because I hated it so much. Once I won a contest—or rather, he did. The drawing was really good, and I thought I was going to get caught because it was selected for some bigger show outside of school. The teachers wanted the same drawings, but for us to redo them on bigger paper. I thought, “Oh, shit. They’re going to make me do the drawing in front of them, and I have no idea how.” Luckily, that didn’t happen.”

For more Information:
http://www.interviewmagazine.com/art/wade-guyton/#page3