101. HELMUT FEDERLE

101. HELMUT FEDERLE

Die Nacht der Krähe (The Night of the Crow), 2008
oil and acrylic on canvas
(50 x 35 cm)

Blume Des Todes III (Rotes Kreuz), 1983-1989
acrylic, oil and charcoal on canvas
60.3 x 73 cm

Legion XVII, 1997
acrylic and oil on canvas
(48.9 x 61 cm)




BIO & STEPS






Born:  
                  1944, in Solothurn, Switzerland


Nowadays:

Lives and works in Vienna, Austria and Camaiore, Italy

Studies:

In 1964, Federle studied at the School of Applied Art in Basel.

In 1969 and 1971, he received a federal scholarship. In the following year, Federle travelled to Tunisia and the USA.

Together with his fellow artist and friend Martin Disler he exhibited in 1976 in the Kunstmuseum der Stadt Solothurn.

In 1979, Federle exhibited large-scaled canvases with geometric forms in the Kunsthalle Basel.

From 1983 to 1984, Federle lived in Zürich and held a professorship in Reykjavík.

From 1999 until 2007 he held a professorship at the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf and, in 2008, he received the Prix Aurelie Nemours.



Themes and style: 
         His paintings elude cursory observation. Opaque, strongly minimal, spiritual, and with a succinct style, they allude to Color Field Painting and Abstract Expressionism while dispensing with narrative. The color palette is for the most part limited to dark umber tones, lightened up by the nuances of chartreuse so characteristic of his work.


Techniques:      
         His work is developed in paintings: acrylic, oil and charcoal.

Exhibitions

Go to Link: http://peterblum.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/artist/biography_file/4/Federle_5-2015.pdf


Representative Galleries:

Peter Blum
Jensen

In his Own words:
“(…) my psychic condition was that I could not work anymore and that I wanted to stop. But I could not, I was not able to stop absolutely because even if you stop you will always be an artist somehow; you will remain an artist even if you don’t work because I work 24 hours with my head and with my heart. I knew that someday I would feel that I would like to do something again. So from around 2003 on, the process of working was changing because before I was never the guy who worked from 9 to 5 like other artists, never. I always worked only when I wanted to work, but it was not as dominant as it is now. Now I am really in a period where it becomes very difficult for me to work.

Interviewer: Do you draw when you’re not painting?

Federle: No. I read”



For more Information:




http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/03/arts/design/helmut-federle-the-ferner-paintings.html