147. GEORGE SHAW



147. GEORGE SHAW



I Woz Ere No. 9, 2011
Watercolour on paper (30.5 × 40.5 cm)




Little Crosses III, 2006
Watercolour on paper (30.5 × 40.5 cm)


Study for 'The End of Time', 2008
Ink on paper (149.5 × 198 cm (paper size))



BIO & STEPS


Born:  
In 1966 in Coventry, England
Nowadays:

Lives and works in NY


Studies:

1986-89 BA Fine Art, Sheffield Polytechnic
1991-92 PGCE, Sheffield Polytechnic
1996-98 MA Painting, Royal College of Art, London


Themes and style: 
         Shaw is noted for his highly detailed naturalistic approach and English suburban subject matter. His favoured medium is Humbrol enamel paints, which lend his work a unique appearance as they are more commonly used to paint Airfix models.


Techniques:      
         Is developed in paintings


Exhibitions

See all at:







Representative Galleries:

Wilkinson


In his own words:
"Sometimes," he says, almost wistfully, "usually when I have finished a series of paintings, I look at the work and its innate conservatism shocks me. When I was growing up, I thought I was going to be a really contemporary artist doing video and installation work, capturing the zeitgeist and all that, but…" He pauses, laughing and shaking his head as if astounded at the folly of his younger self. "Then, I realised I was just lying to myself."


For more Information: