164. Maurice Sendak




164. Maurice Sendak

Really Rosie. 1975. ( Animation Production)



Where the wild things are. 1963

IN the night Kitchen. 1970.



BIO &­ STEPS


Born:  
In 1928 in New York City, USA

He died 2012, at age 83, in Danbury, Connecticut, USA


Studies:
No studies he started his illustrating career in 1950 and storywritting in 1956.

Themes and style: 
         Sendak gained international acclaim after writing and illustrating Where the Wild Things Are, edited by Ursula Nordstrom at Harper & Row. It features Max, a boy who "rages against his mother for being sent to bed without any supper".The book's depictions of fanged monsters concerned some parents when it was first published, as his characters were somewhat grotesque in appearance. Before Where the Wild Things Are, Sendak was best known for illustrating Else Holmelund Minarik's Little Bear series of books.


Techniques:      
         He is an illustrator and animator

Exhibitions:

June 11, 2013 – August 17, 2013. "Maurice Sendak: A Celebration of the Artist and his Work" at the Society of Illustrators in New York.
Permanent. Maurice Sendak Collection at The Rosenbach Museum & Library in Philadelphia.
2013–"Maurice Sendak; The Memorial Exhibition." April 2013 "Bowers Museum of California" "The New Britain Museum of American Art'"
September 8, 2009 – January 19, 2010. There's a Mystery There: Sendak on Sendak at The Contemporary Jewish Museum in San Francisco.
October 6, 2009 – November 1, 2009. Where the Wild Things Are: Original Drawings by Maurice Sendak at The Morgan Library & Museum in New York.
October 1–30, 2009 "SENDAK IN SOHO" at AFA Gallery in New York.
April 15, 2005 – August 14, 2005. Wild Things: The Art of Maurice Sendak at the The Jewish Museum in New York.





In his own words:

“A little boy sent me a charming card with a little drawing on it. I loved it. I answer all my children's letters – sometimes very hastily – but this one I lingered over. I sent him a card and I drew a picture of a Wild Thing on it. I wrote, 'Dear Jim: I loved your card.' Then I got a letter back from his mother and she said: 'Jim loved your card so much he ate it.' That to me was one of the highest compliments I've ever received. He didn't care that it was an original Maurice Sendak drawing or anything. He saw it, he loved it, he ate it. “

For more Information: